North Korea fires about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward sea, South Korea says

See more of our coverage in your search results. Add The New York Post on Google.

WorldNews Info Wire3 min read
North Korea fires about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward sea, South Korea says

See more of our coverage in your search results. Add The New York Post on Google.

Article outline

  1. What happened
  2. Official response
  3. Background
  4. Reaction
  5. What comes next
  6. The bottom line

Key points

  • On Wednesday, the South Korean and US militaries remarked they were scaling back their 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises.
  • Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, dismissed Trump's overture afterwards Wednesday.
  • The Joint Chiefs of Staff remarked the launches happened from North Korea's capital region around 5 p.m.
  • When asked by reporters Wednesday if he would be session with Kim Jong Un this year, Trump stated that "Yeah, I will be."
  • After the session, the council issued a statement urging North Korea to halt ballistic missile launches that are banned by UN Security Council resolutions.

North Korea introduced concerning 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the sea on Thursday, South Korea's military noted, a day after North Korea shrugged off a US decision to scale back military drills with South Korea in an apparent bid to resume diplomacy.

In practice, the Joint Chiefs of Staff remarked the launches happened from North Korea's capital region around 5 p.m. On Thursday.

Meanwhile, the military remarked the missiles were rolled out toward North Korea's eastern waters.

Notably, the military remarked South Korea has bolstered its surveillance posture and was closely coordinating information on the launches with the US and Japan.

South Korea's presidential national security council held an emergency session to discuss the launches.

According to The Japanese prime minister's office had earlier, it detected a suspected missile launch.

President Donald Trump earlier ordered the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" the exercises, just before they began Monday.

Trump cited what he remarked was a good relationship with Kim and South Korea's refusal to backing him over the war in Iran.

Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, dismissed Trump's overture afterwards Wednesday. She remarked it was not even worthy of comment.

"The provocative, aggressive nature of the drills won't change even though their duration and size were reduced, " she remarked. "If the US calculates that it can propagate its recent measure as the one of so-called good faith, they will not get the desired answer."

She additionally cited a series of other military drills carried out by the US and South Korea earlier this year and South Korea's push to introduce nuclear-powered submarines.

Kim Yo Jong still refrained from the typical North Korean reaction of fiery rhetoric and remarked personal relations between her brother and Trump are "still excellent."

That signals North Korea would want to wait for Trump to create bigger concessions before returning to negotiations.

She denied Trump's claim that Kim Jong Un had responded to his request for a conversation.

He wouldn't answer a question regarding whether he is exchanging letters with Kim but stated he gets along with him.

For now, north Korea fires about 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward sea, South Korea remains the part of the story worth watching, and further updates are likely as more details are confirmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *