Ukraine aims a drone blitz at Moscow as Russian missiles kill 10 in a Ukrainian village

Over the past year Ukraine has devised and deployed domestically produced long-range drones for strikes deep inside Russia

WorldNews Info Wire5 min read
Ukraine aims a drone blitz at Moscow as Russian missiles kill 10 in a Ukrainian village

Key points

  • Rescuers work at the site of Russian drone strikes in the town of Pechenihy, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine in…
  • More than 600 Ukrainian drones flew toward the Moscow region, where 180 were shot down, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said.
  • A Russian missile strike on the village of Pechenihy in Ukraine's Kharkiv region killed 10 civilians, according to preliminary information…
  • Kyiv officials aim to produce the Russian public feel the war's consequences and pressure Russian President Vladimir Putin into negotiating…

Over the past year Ukraine has devised and deployed domestically produced long-range drones for strikes deep inside Russia

Updated – August 18, 2026 05:11 pm IST – Kyiv

AP

Rescuers work at the site of Russian drone strikes in the town of Pechenihy, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine in Kharkiv region, Ukraine on August 18, 2026. | Photo Credit: Reuters

Ukrainian forces staged one of their biggest drone attacks on Russia since Moscow’s invasion more than four years ago, firing almost 800 drones just two days after launching a similar salvo, officials stated Tuesday (August 18, 2026).

Meanwhile, a Russian missile strike on a village in Ukraine’s northeastern Kharkiv region killed at least 10 people and wounded eight others as the barrage demolished homes, office-holders said Tuesday (August 18, 2026).

The warring countries are locked in an escalating duel of long-range aerial strikes. Fighting on the roughly 1,250-kilometre (780-mile) front line in eastern and southern Ukraine is restricted by large numbers of drones and ground robots threatening troop movements, and neither side is making significant battlefield progress, analysts say.

Russia’s Putin resists pressure for peace talks

Over the past year Ukraine has devised and deployed domestically produced long-range drones for strikes deep inside Russia. Its drone technology has impressed governments and defence manufacturers worldwide.

Kyiv officials aim to produce the Russian public feel the war’s consequences and pressure Russian President Vladimir Putin into negotiating a peace settlement. Putin has so far shown no sign he intends to stop the invasion.

“Putin continues to drag out the war instead of accepting Ukraine’s realistic ceasefire proposals and ending the bloodshed,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said in a post on X.

As well as annexed Crimea and the Black and the Azov seas, the Defense Ministry in Moscow stated, in what was the second-largest drone attack since January 2025, according to an Associated Press tally, russian air defences overnight intercepted 791 Ukrainian drones over several Russian regions.

More than 600 Ukrainian drones flew toward the Moscow region, where 180 were shot down, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said. He didn’t provide further details.

Officials noted no deaths or major damage. Ukraine has increasingly launched swarms of hundreds of drones in an attempt to overwhelm Russian air defenses.

In the Moscow region that surrounds but doesn’t include the Russian capital, three people were wounded, Gov Andrei Vorobyov stated.

Three people were additionally wounded in the Ryazan region adjacent to the Moscow region where three private houses were damaged by the attack, Gov. Pavel Malkov said.

The overnight attack started a fire at a warehouse of Wildberries, Russia’s biggest online retailer, in an industrial zone. Ukraine has repeatedly targeted the company’s depots. It it says assist supply the Russian military.

Wildberries said its facility sustained “insignificant damage.” Russian TV doesn’t report news of the attack

As is often the case, coverage of the attack in state and Kremlin-backed Russian media was mostly muted.

Russia’s main television channels — state-run Russia 1 and Channel One — did not mention the attack at all in their morning news bulletins.

But Russian state news agency RIA Novosti featured it among the main news on its website’s homepage, describing it as “one of the most large-scale attacks on Moscow since the beginning of the summer.” State newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta on its website prominently featured a roundup of what Moscow region Gov. Andrei Vorobyov reported concerning the attack on the area, describing it as “massive” in the headline. Pro-Kremlin tabloid MK featured a news brief about the attack on its home page.

Ukraine’s Zelenskyy accuses Russia of a ‘brutal attack’ on civilians

A Russian missile strike on the village of Pechenihy in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region killed 10 civilians, according to preliminary information, said Oleh Syniehubov, head of the Kharkiv regional military administration.

Another 17 people were wounded, he stated. Mr. Zelenskyy called it “a brutal attack” that damaged 10 homes, a cafe, a post office, a store and at least seven vehicles, according to Syniehubov.

“We will definitely respond to this Russian strike,” Mr. Zelenskyy said on social media.

Also, three residents were killed and three others were wounded over the past day in Russian attacks on Ukraine’s Sumy region, including drone strikes and an explosive device blast, Ukraine’s National Police said.

U.K. vows continued Ukraine support, despite Moscow’s threats

The U.K. After Russia said that Ukraine’s noted use of British drones for attacks on Russian soil would bring unidentified consequences for London, defence Ministry said Tuesday that it won’t budge from its military backing for Kyiv.

“Britain stands shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine, and we are committed to providing the equipment Ukraine needs to defend itself against Putin’s illegal invasion,” a British defense spokesperson said.

British newspaper The Sunday Times reported that two U.K. businesses made drones employed by Ukraine to hit Russia.

Following the report, the Russian embassy in the U.K. stated in an official note that “London’s actions will inevitably carry consequences.”

SEE ALL Remove

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *