The Thiruvananthapuram Corporation has launched a drive to crack down on illegal constructions. Mayor V.V.Rajesh said on Tuesday that those who have carried out illegal constructions should remove it themselves, failing which the civic body will demolish the constructions and produce the owner pay for the cost of demolition.
Addressing a press conference, he said that the Corporation will form special squads to prevent illegal constructions during the Onam holidays. Previously, such long holidays were used by numerous to carry out illegal constructions, he said.
On Monday, the Corporation authorities identified five illegal constructions in different parts of the city. Mr. According to Rajesh, three illegal constructions were identified near Pulimood. Although permission was provided for only two floors, one of the constructions was carried out even after a stop memo was issued.
In another case, four floors were constructed. In Muttada and Kuravankonam, notices were served to restaurants for illegal constructions. “A big mafia exists in the city facilitating illegal constructions. We will ensure that not an inch of illegal construction will be allowed here,” said Mr. Rajesh.
He said action was taken against a Corporation official for failing to take action regarding an illegal construction. Further action will be taken against illegal wayside eateries after the Corporation council notifies vending, non-vending and semi-vending zones in the city. As per government norms, “Wayside eateries or vending carts are allocated to families for basic survival. However, there have been cases of such wayside eateries being run by sizeable groups. Licenses will be provided henceforth only after proper scrutiny,” said Mr. Rajesh.
Published – August 18, 2026 09:49 pm IST




