Erdogan calls on Trump to prioritise diplomacy in talks with Iran
Erdogan calls on Trump to prioritise diplomacy in talks with Iran Erdogan and Trump discuss Iran, Gaza, bilateral ties and regional security during their latest phone call By Reuters | Published August 18, 2026 US President Donald Trump and Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan shake hands as they meet at the White House in Washington,…
Key points
- It said Erdogan informed Trump that Israel's attacks on Palestinians had increased at a time when the second phase of…
- Progress towards a resumption of oil tanker traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has also stalled.
- While also condemning the Iranian attacks on Gulf states and calling for the re-opening of the strategic strait, turkey has…
- On Monday, Turkey's foreign minister discussed the strait's re-opening and the continuation of the ceasefire with his Iranian counterpart.
Erdogan and Trump discuss Iran, Gaza, bilateral ties and regional security during their latest phone call
Published August 18, 2026
- Turkiye offers support for diplomatic and peace efforts.
- Ankara criticises US and Israeli assaults on Iran.
- Iran warns it may adopt fully offensive military posture.
As stalled negotiations and rising tensions threaten to further deepen the regional conflict, the Turkish presidency said on Tuesday, ANKARA: Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has called on Donald Trump in a phone call to keep diplomacy with Iran alive.
Turkey, which has NATO’s second-largest army and borders Iran, has repeatedly urged an end to the war. While also acting as an intermediary between the parties, it has maintained close contact with the United States, Iran, and mediators such as Pakistan and Qatar.
“Erdogan stated that it is of great importance to make the utmost of diplomacy regarding the tensions between Iran and the United States, that we hope the talks will continue, and that Turkey will continue to support peace efforts,” the presidency said in an official note.
What happened
As Washington ruled out extending a temporary ceasefire agreement, the call comes after a senior Iranian official told Reuters earlier on Monday that Iran would shift to a “fully offensive” military posture as efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the war have stalled.
While also condemning the Iranian attacks on Gulf states and calling for the re-opening of the strategic strait, turkey has criticised the US and Israeli assault on Iran.
On Monday, Turkey’s foreign minister discussed the strait’s re-opening and the continuation of the ceasefire with his Iranian counterpart.
The details
According to The presidency, erdogan and Trump additionally discussed bilateral ties, the war in Gaza, and a defence pact signed between Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan, adding that the Turkish leader praised the accord as a sign of a “strong stance” for regional stability and security.
It said Erdogan informed Trump that Israel’s attacks on Palestinians had increased at a time when the second phase of Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan was supposed to come into effect.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the call.

