Goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
The country’s goods transporters announced on Sunday that they would postpone their strike for 40 days in “broader national interest”. The goods transporters had announced a countrywide wheel-jam strike on Aug 8 after talks with the government failed over the daily fixing of petrol and diesel prices, among other issues. A crucial round of talks…
Goods transporters postpone strike for 40 days in ‘broader national interest’
All Pakistan Goods Transport Ittehad President Malik Shehbaz Awan noted the association had decided, after consultations, to postpone the strike for 40 days in the “broader national interest”.
“Some of our issues have been resolved immediately,
The country’s goods transporters announced on Sunday that they would postpone their strike for 40 days in “broader national interest”.
The goods transporters had unveiled a countrywide wheel-jam strike on Aug 8 after talks with the administration failed over the daily fixing of petrol and diesel prices, among other matters.
A crucial round of talks between senior federal and provincial administration officials and transporters’ representatives was scheduled to be held at the Governor House in Karachi today to resolve the problem. For those requiring cabinet approval, 15 to 20 days have been given,” he said.
Awan stated the government had asked for 15 days to address their demand regarding daily fuel rate changes, adding that transporters would prefer fuel prices that shifted on a fortnightly or monthly basis.
He went on that meetings between the government and transporters’ committees would continue.
“We have been assured that overloading will be controlled in accordance with the law on axle loads,” he stated.
Awan asserted that the peaceful protest had not been stopped anywhere during the nine-day period. While committees had been formed to address the remaining two matters.
Meanwhile, speaking to the media, Sindh Governor Nihal Hashmi said both sides — the administration and transporters — had “generously agreed with each other’s points of view”.
“Pakistan, as well as the entire region, is passing through an extraordinary situation,” he said.
The governor went on that, in the prevailing situation, all stakeholders must work through mutual consultation and understanding and seek solutions to issues while keeping the national interest at the forefront.
Federal Minister for Communications Abdul Aleem Khan remarked the government had succeeded in resolving numerous of the transporters’ issues.
“Some issues will take time to resolve, and committees have been formed to address them,” he stated.
He hoped that the issues that remained unresolved would be settled in the near future.
“We will continue with the same spirit that is being demonstrated for Pakistan.”
Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab additionally assured the transporters that the Sindh government would work to resolve their matters.
He added some matters would have to be addressed in coordination with the Karachi Port Trust, while others would require legislative changes to be taken up at the relevant forum.
Among the key demands of the transporters is the uniform enforcement of axle-load limits nationwide and permission for 10-wheel vehicles to carry up to 35 tonnes.
They have additionally demanded reductions in diesel prices and toll taxes, besides seeking relief in withholding tax to ease the financial burden on the transport sector.
The transporters have additionally urged the withdrawal of customs provisions that, according to the association, allow authorities to confiscate vehicles carrying goods identified to be in violation of customs laws.
Other demands include the withdrawal of the Punjab Highway Patrol’s powers to issue challans to commercial vehicles, an end to what the association described as unnecessary challans and excessive fines on motorways and highways, and measures to facilitate the issuance of heavy transport vehicle licences to drivers.
, “Our 50-member committee had called for the strike,” he said.
He stated their demands had been accepted “to a certain extent” and that the committees formed to address them would continue their consultations.
On withholding tax, he said they had been assured by the communications minister that he would raise the problem with the finance minister and that a committee would be formed to resolve it.
Meanwhile, he said the Sindh administration had assured them that operations would be shifted to a new truck stand within a year.
The association’s president claimed that six of their eight demands concerning the Punjab administration had also been accepted.




