Liberia to take 1,200 deportees from the US
The first group of 20 deportees is expected to arrive in the coming days.
Liberia will accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from the United States, the country’s Information Minister Jerolinmek Piah said to journalists in the capital, Monrovia.
The first group of 20 deportees is anticipated to arrive on Thursday, Piah told reporters on Tuesday. The country would be taking nationals from Africa, North and South America and the Caribbean.
“The government wants to emphasise that those being brought to Liberia are being received as guests of the Republic,” Piah said, adding they would “remain free to depart the country when they so desire.”
The Trump administration has produced agreements with at least 35 countries for accepting third-country deportees, according to Refugees International and Human Rights First, two groups tracking the deals.
The Liberian deal would be for the largest number of deportees under those arrangements so far.
The US has sent approximately 22,000 residents to 26 countries they did not originate from as of early August 2026, according to the rights groups.
Liberia and the US entered an agreement in 2025 that was made public in March 2026, and would ensure that asylum seekers and others needing protection would be able to stay in the country if deported there.
The US has tried to convince courts to let it send Kilmar Abrego Garcia, an El Salvador native whose case has drawn national attention, to Liberia. As a reward for agreeing to accept Garcia in 2025, the Trump administration at one point extended the validity of certain visas for Liberians from 12 to 36 months, and committed $124m for the country’s health services.
The Liberia deportations agreement is being challenged by several lawsuits in the US.
Related stories

Take a time-lapse ride along the IndyCar racetrack in WashingtonThe Freedom 250…
Take a time-lapse ride along the IndyCar racetrack in WashingtonA time-lapse video showcases the streets that form racing circuit for the Freedom 250 Grand…

US sanctions International Criminal Court president and trial lawyer
The Trump administration has led a campaign to 'dismantle' the court, calling it a threat to national sovereignty.

Lindsay Clancy was ‘begging for help’ before killing her children, former mother-in-law…
BOSTON (AP) — Lindsay Clancy was “begging for help” in the months leading up to killing her three children and attempting to end her…

ICE pitches legal insurance to help shield local officers who make immigration…
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is pitching a plan to help shield local police officers who make immigration arrests from possible financial consequences if…
