Russia says more than 600 drones targeted Moscow region

The attacks injured at least three people, including a girl, and damaged a Wildberries warehouse, Russian officials say.

WorldNews Info Wire2 min read
Russia says more than 600 drones targeted Moscow region

Key points

  • In July alone, 437 civilians were killed in Ukraine, the highest monthly toll since May 2022, according to a United…
  • The Ukrainian air force reported shooting down or suppressing 111 of 147 “enemy” drone attacks overnight.
  • Kharkiv’s regional Governor Oleh Syniehubov said five residents, including a nine-year-old boy, were injured in an overnight Russian attack on…
  • Russian drones also sparked fires and damaged buildings in Kyiv region’s Brovary city, including an office building and warehouses, stated…

Russian officials have noted more than 620 overnight drones targeting Moscow, in what appears to be one of Ukraine’s largest attacks on the Russian capital in years.

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said Russian defences shot down 180 drones over the capital region between Monday evening and ‌5am (02:00 GMT) on Tuesday. He said 17 more drones were shot down en route to the capital afterwards.

Russia’s state-run news agency TASS described the barrage as the largest drone attack on Moscow previously two years.

The drone attack wounded three people, including a 10-year-old girl, Moscow region’s Governor Andrey Vorobyov remarked on Telegram. He said the “most serious consequences” were noted in the Pavlovsky Posad district, where a house burned down. Several more homes and a guesthouse were damaged in Bogorodsky district, he went on.

A warehouse east of Moscow belonging to e-commerce giant Wildberries was damaged in Tuesday’s drone assault. In an official note, the firm stated its logistics complex sustained “minor damage” after “debris hit the wall of the building”.

Ukraine has struck multiple Wildberries warehouses in recent weeks, saying the company supplies components for Russian drones.

Five injured in Ukraine’s Kharkiv

Meanwhile, the Ukrainian air force reported shooting down or suppressing 111 of 147 “enemy” drone attacks overnight.

Kharkiv’s regional Governor Oleh Syniehubov said five residents, including a nine-year-old boy, were injured in an overnight Russian attack on the city of Izyum.

Advertisement

Russian drones also sparked fires and damaged buildings in Kyiv region’s Brovary city, including an office building and warehouses, stated Mayor Ihor Sapozhko.

With front-line fighting at a near standstill and talks frozen, Ukraine and Russia have significantly stepped up long-distance attacks, pushing the civilian death toll to its highest levels since the war’s first months in 2022.

In July alone, 437 civilians were killed in Ukraine, the highest monthly toll since May 2022, according to a United Nations tally.

Russian authorities reported 79 civilians killed in Ukrainian attacks in July, up from the previous month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *