Deputy Chief Minister G. Parameshwara on Monday informed the Legislative Assembly that the social security pensions of 51,720 beneficiaries had been cancelled after they were found ineligible for benefits under the schemes.
Replying to Congress member Roopakala during Question Hour, the Deputy Chief Minister stated an exercise to verify the data of beneficiaries under social security schemes against income limits, income-tax payers and Above Poverty Line (APL) ration card holders had helped identify 23,14,544 beneficiaries whose credentials were “doubtful”.
The administration had suspended pension payments to them and asked them to furnish documents to establish their eligibility, he noted.
The payment of social security pensions resumed in March 2026 for beneficiaries who were identified eligible after physical verification.
The Deputy Chief Minister said pension payments for suspended beneficiaries could additionally be resumed if they furnished documentary proof of their eligibility. He said Village Administrative Officers would visit the homes of beneficiaries under the old-age pension and physically challenged pension schemes to verify their documents at their doorstep.
Referring to the income criterion for these schemes, Mr. Parameshwara explained that only those whose annual family income did not exceed ₹32,000 were eligible for social security pensions.
Published – August 17, 2026 08:23 pm IST
