South Korea shortens war games with US citing Washington requestIt comes after Trump announced plans to curtail joint exercises with South Korea, citing a "very good" relationship with North Korea's Kim Jong Un.18 mins agoWorld
South Korea shortens war games with US citing Washington request19 minutes agoTabby WilsonEPASouth Korea's annual joint military drills with the US will be cut short by six days at the request of Washington, its defence ministry has announced.Seoul said that the "period and scale" of the 2026 Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise had been adjusted due…
South Korea’s annual joint military drills with the US will be cut short by six days at the request of Washington, its defence ministry has confirmed.
Seoul said that the “period and scale” of the 2026 Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise had been adjusted due to a “proposal of the US side”.
The drill will now conclude on 21 August, rather than 27 August as planned. It comes after Donald Trump announced aims to curtail exercises with South Korea, citing his “very good” relationship with North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.
South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing that neither South Korean nor US office-holders had been aware in advance about Trump’s aims.
The combined field training exercise component of the drills will also be “partially reduced in scale”, Seoul stated, noting that the “specific details” of that reduction are still under discussion.
The announcement comes after US officials informed the Wall Street Journal that Trump is pushing his aides for a meeting with Kim Jong Un.
Sources told the outlet that the US president had privately discussed setting up an in-person discussion with Kim during his next trip to Asia. It will probable be in November for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in China.
Over the weekend, Trump wrote on Truth Social: “These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile.”
He added: “While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'”
Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday, the president again explicitly linked his decision to South Korea’s refusal to “give us a little hand” with Iran.
“We have 39,000 soldiers over there guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next door neighbour, and you’re not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran,” he said. “That’s strange”.
US and South Korean military leaders announced the Ulchi Freedom shield in a joint press conference last week.
At the time, they said the event would be similar in scale to previous years, with concerning 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating. About 28,500 American military personnel are stationed in South Korea.
During the news conference, military leaders also mentioned North Korea’s deployment of troops to aid Russia’s war against Ukraine.
US military spokesperson Ryan Donald said “our training accounts for that threat”, referring to North Korean soldiers returning from the battlefield.
Following that press conference, North Korea’s foreign ministry condemned the joint military drills as “a rehearsal for an aggressive war”.
Trump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war
Russia using North Korean missiles to strike Ukraine, Zelensky says
South Korea proposes talks to officially end war with North
Related stories

Trump pauses 50pc tariffs on Canadian goods for three days as both…
US President Donald Trump paused the planned rollout of punishing new tariffs on Canadian goods late Tuesday, as both sides indicated they were close…

Strangle them: Trump's new approach in Iran war
Benchmarks Nifty24,117.60-37.31FEATURED FUNDS★★★★★Motilal Oswal Midcap Fund Direct-Growth5Y Return23.26 % Invest NowEnter search text:HomeETPrimeMarketsMarket DataNewsIndustrySMEPoliticsWealthMFTechAICareersOpinionNRIPanacheThe Economic Times daily newspaper is available online now. Read Today's…
UAE pauses Iran trade after missiles fired; Trump ‘threatened to bomb Oman’
US-Iran war LIVE: The United Arab Emirates said on Tuesday that it had suspended all trade and financial dealings with Iran.US-Iran war LIVE: The…

Tracking USS Lincoln's months-long mission as concerns about conditions growBBC Verify has…
Tracking USS Lincoln's months-long mission as concerns about conditions growThere have been reports of poor conditions on board the USS Abraham Lincoln, which the…
