Syria foreign minister says door open for diplomacy with Israel

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani notes the door for diplomacy with Israel is open, urging it to seize a "historic opportunity".

SportsNews Info Wire5 min read
Syria foreign minister says door open for diplomacy with Israel

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani notes the door for diplomacy with Israel is open, urging it to seize a "historic opportunity".

Article outline

  1. What happened
  2. Official response
  3. Background
  4. What comes next
  5. The details
  6. The bottom line

Key points

  • Tensions over Syria were brought into focus last week when Israel bombed the Abu al-Duhur airbase, saying Damascus was regarding to allow Turkish forces to deploy there.
  • US special envoy for Syria, Tom ‌Barrack, remarked last week that Washington was working to establish a mechanism to prevent conflict among Israel, Turkiye and Syria.
  • Syria and Israel have technically been in a state of war since 1948.
  • Syria draws on Turkish backing in military training and cooperation, he stated, noting that this was additionally the case with Jordan, Saudi Arabia and others.
  • Al-Sharaa has remarked Syria poses no threat to other countries and that it is instead focused on rebuilding after 14 years of civil war.

In an interview with the Reuters news agency, published on Sunday, al-Shaibani remarked he expects the negotiations over a security accord that would lead to Israel's withdrawal from Syrian territory to resume shortly.

He remarked negotiations over the security agreement were frozen at the start of the US-Israel war on Iran and that no date has been set for a resumption of negotiations.

Al-Shaibani additionally stressed that Damascus's priority is to halt Israeli attacks, saying confidence-building steps were needed in this direction.

In practice, the United States has been trying to broker a security accord between Israel and the administration of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, a new US ally in the Middle East, for ⁠more than a year. But an agreement has proven elusive as Israel has sent troops into Syrian territory and attacked administration assets, citing threats to its security.

"We believe there should be contact, especially with a party that constantly threatens the security of Syria. But if this contact doesn't bring results, then we don't need it, " al-Shaibani remarked. "We do not trust Israel currently."

Israeli authorities have talked concerning a range of potential dangers in Syria, with a number of last year criticising the new administration, even as al-Sharaa worked to strengthen ties with Washington.

In the days after the ouster of President Bashar al-Assad in 2024, Israel seized territory in southwest Syria, citing the need to safeguard its citizens against attack, and bombed dozens of Syrian military sites.

"Israel has tried to maintain its security through brute force, and it hasn't succeeded" anywhere, al-Shaibani remarked. "I believe negotiations will resume soon."

He remarked the US is pressuring Israel to return to the dialogue table.

Asked how optimistic he was that discussions would resume, al-Shaibani stated: "It's very hard to bet on Israel." But Syria ⁠had "very great hope" of building stable relationships with its neighbours.

"Syria is extending its hand for understandings, for peace, for diplomacy" and regional stability. Israeli attacks cast doubt on will to create agreement.

Tensions over Syria were brought into focus last week when Israel bombed the Abu al-Duhur airbase, saying Damascus was regarding to allow Turkish forces to deploy there. Syria and Turkiye denied the claim.

Al-Shaibani remarked Syria respected Israel's security worries but that it must additionally respect those of Damascus, instead of violating its airspace and conducting raids and arrests in the south of the country.

He remarked earlier this year, ⁠the two sides had "agreed on paper to almost everything" regarding a security agreement that would require Israel to stop attacking Syria and was tied to its withdrawal from territory seized after al-Assad fell.

That accord would include a number of security zones in Syrian territory near the Israeli border, including ⁠a buffer zone where only the United Nations would be present, and others where Syrian forces would deploy in varying ⁠degrees of force.

Nevertheless, he stated, Israel had sought to evade implementation, adding: "We did not see they had the real will to reach an agreement." Golan Heights a sticking point.

Syria and Israel have technically been in a state of war since 1948. Israel seized the Golan Heights from Syria in the Six-Day War of 1967.

Al-Shaibani remarked the priority now is to "stop Israeli aggression even before reaching a security agreement", and then "perhaps we can open the topics of peace and the Golan".

Israeli authorities have indicated they are not willing to return the Golan Heights to the al-Sharaa administration.

Al-Shaibani remarked there was no agreement yet on the mechanism. It he stated must stop attacks and pave the way for the security accord rather than "entrenching. Israeli occupation".

Notably, the US Department of State did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Al-Shaibani remarked Israel had bombed ‌Abu ‌al-Duhur even after Syria conveyed a message that it would not be a Turkish base.

Damascus was thankful for Turkiye's backing in rebuilding its military, "and we won't forgo support", he stated.

For now, syria foreign minister says door open for diplomacy with Israel remains the part of the story worth watching, and further updates are likely as more details are confirmed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *