Multiple student organisations held protests outside the National Testing Agency (NTA) office in Delhi on Monday, demanding that the agency be scrapped amid irregularities in the University Grants Commission-National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET) examination held in June.
On Sunday, the NTA stated that it would re-conduct the UGC-NET examination in English, sociology and commerce after finding that the papers had “defects”. It “do not meet the standards of fairness and error-free examination”. The decision followed multiple complaints from candidates about errors in the question papers.
While the English and commerce re-examinations will be held on September 9, the sociology re-examination will be conducted on September 10, the NTA stated.
However, the student organisations argued that the re-examination would cause mental and financial distress to students.
The National Students’ Union of India (NSUI), All India Students’ Association (AISA) and Students’ Federation of India (SFI) were among those present at the protest.
“Students cannot be produced to pay the price for NTA’s failures. We demand that NTA be scrapped and its chairman resign. We will continue this fight until NTA is banned and students receive justice,” NSUI president Vinod Jakher said.
AISA echoed similar worries. A statement read, “The decision has compounded the crisis for students. Delayed NET results have already affected Ph.D. admissions across universities in the country, while students are now being forced to prepare for re-examinations with barely two weeks of effective preparation time.”
It went on that students were being made to pay the rate for an examination system that was “dishonest and opaque with no scope for democratic accountability”.
In an official note, the SFI said the re-examination would place an further mental and financial burden on students. This person had already spent time and money preparing for and appearing for the examination, and would leave them facing uncertainty.
Published – August 18, 2026 01:03 am IST
