US says intelligence behind Israeli strike on Syria air base was wrong

US notes intelligence behind Israeli strike on Syria air base was wrong.

WorldNews Info Wire3 min read
US says intelligence behind Israeli strike on Syria air base was wrong

US notes intelligence behind Israeli strike on Syria air base was wrong.

Article outline

  1. What happened
  2. Official response
  3. What comes next
  4. The bottom line

Key points

  • Anadolu Agency Published August 22, 2026 Updated August 22, 2026 05: 18pm.
  • Barrack, who additionally serves as special envoy for Syria and Iraq, commented on Israel's airstrike on the abandoned Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in eastern Idlib province.
  • US Ambassador to Turkiye Tom Barrack remarked on Saturday that intelligence behind an Israeli attack on a military airbase in northern Syria earlier this week was wrong.
  • The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asserted that "Turkish soldiers were trying to settle at the base and were deploying military installations moving southward."
  • Israeli army warplanes had attacked the abandoned Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in eastern Idlib province in northern Syria.

Anadolu Agency Published August 22, 2026 Updated August 22, 2026 05: 18pm. Join our Whatsapp Channel. Add Dawn as a trusted source.

Barrack, who additionally serves as special envoy for Syria and Iraq, commented on Israel's airstrike on the abandoned Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in eastern Idlib province. He remarked on social media that he did not know why the attack was carried out, but could share the answers given to him.

For context, the ambassador remarked Israel had received intelligence that Turkiye might be moving military assets to the airbase in Syria and shared the information with Washington, where the intelligence was analysed.

"We consulted our intelligence agencies, and the answer we received was that this claim was not true, " he remarked.

Barrack continued there may have been "a miscommunication" among the Israeli army, Mossad and prime minister's office, and stressed that neither the US nor Turkiye were informed of the attack in advance.

Barrack described the Turkish army as "strong and brave", saying it is "very well-equipped and knows its job well".

Notably, the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu asserted that "Turkish soldiers were trying to settle at the base and were deploying military installations moving southward."

Israeli army warplanes had attacked the abandoned Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in eastern Idlib province in northern Syria. No information was shared on whether there were casualties or injuries in the attack.

For context, a Syrian official remarked Israeli warplanes carried out eight attacks on the airbase, targeting the runway and an inactive structure in a hangar.

Taken together, the developments around US says intelligence behind Israeli strike on Syria air base was wrong point to a situation that is still moving, and the coming days should bring more clarity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *